We found this list of the top-10, and bottom-2 “Big Game” musical performances ever and wanted to share it with you. Originally, the list came from right here, and they’ve got more info as to why they made their selections, as well as some info about each performance. Interestingly, the halftime shows weren’t really a “big” thing until around 1993 when Michael Jackson took the stage. Before then, it was mostly marching bands from colleges and some drill team performances.
First spot, no surprise, goes to Prince and his basically flawless and iconic performance in the rain in 2007.
Second place goes to Michael Jackson from 1993 which, like was said earlier, was the beginning of “big band” performances. Interesting fact though, this performance was sung to a backing track, according to the article.
Third spot goes to Beyonce with Destiny’s Child from 2013. This was Beyonce’s first year, with her return being 3 years later with Coldplay and Bruno Mars.
Fourth marks that famous 2004 show with Justin Timberlake and Janet Jackson’s wardrobe malfunction. But don’t forget that Kid Rock, P. Diddy, Jessica Simpson and Nelly were all there, too. That show got 200,000 complaints to the FCC. This was also a big year for the internet. The story goes that a software programmer was upset that he couldn’t find a replay of this performance online, so he invented YouTube. For obvious reasons of an exposed breast, we’ll link out to that video, you’ve been warned. Here’s the link.
Fifth up, Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band in 2009. He gave a solid performance full of energy and excitement, and he rightfully earned his spot on this list.
6. Lady Gaga, last year’s show in 2017. She had a grand entrance. No really, just entered by jumping from the roof of the stadium to start her performance. Gaga always delivers her shows with high energy and enthusiasm. No surprise she made the list. She even changed costumes 4 times in her 13-minute performance.
7. U2 took this spot for their show from 2002. This show became a tribute for the victims of the 9/11 attack. The performance starts at 7:36 in this video
8. Katy Perry’s 2015 show with Lenny Kravitz and Missy Elliott, and we can’t forget the one that stole the show, whoever was wearing the shark outfit who became known as “Left Shark.” See that video here.
9. 2012’s show featuring Madonna, LMFAO, Cirque du Soleil, Nicki Minaj, M.I.A., and Cee Lo Green. With so many artists, how could this not have made the list? And we can’t forget Madonna with her Spartan “soldiers” carrying her onto the field.
10. 2014’s show with Bruno Mars and Red Hot Chili Peppers. Anything Bruno, really, that’s why.
And now for the bottom-two performances. I think we just heard a collective “The Who” from all across Sacramento. Well, yeah, that one made this list.
And back in 1997, the Blues Brothers performed, with John Goodman in John Belushi’s spot. I think that was more awkward bad, but here’s the video for that one. And we’re not going to lie, ZZ Top’s show was a little… Too good. Lip sync maybe?