Anyone having a Game of Thrones watch party for the return for its eighth and final season on Sunday night? According to USA Today, the family-drama fantasy series ends its run as the biggest hit in the premium cable network’s history. To celebrate its return, here are 10 interesting facts and stats on the show:
- Season Eight was reportedly its most expensive, with a $90 million budget according to People.com. Each episode roughly cost about $15 million. And the main cast members were paid $500,000 per episode!
- Over the course of eight seasons, Game of Thrones used 12,137 wigs and hairpieces. Emilia Clarke’s character, Daenerys’ wig color, and style took of more than two months of testing and seven prototypes.
- Production went through 52,000 bags of paper snow, 163 tons of propane, 3,000 pyrotechnic effects, 4,000 gallons of artificial blood, 20,907 candles, 25 miles of rope, 22,966 feet of waxed cotton fabric was used to make more than 330 tents, and 50 miles of fabric were used for costumes.
- Over the course of its eight seasons, it was filmed in 10 countries: Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland, Morocco, Malta, Spain, Croatia, Iceland, the United States, Canada, and Scotland according to Medium.com.
- Game of Thrones has 132 Emmy nominations and 47 wins and seven Golden Globe nominations with one win over the first seven seasons.
- The construction department used 745 miles of repurposed timber, 60,000 sheets of plywood, 20 million screws and bolts, 65,000 bags of plaster, 1,320 gallons of wood glue, 1,200 blocks of polystyrene, 1,000 sheets of fire board.
- Over the course of its eight seasons filming, 19,722 travel documents were issued, 68,143 hotel rooms were booked, and 1,749 call sheets were issued to the cast and crew.
- Season One started with 9.3 million viewers and grew to 32.8 million by Season Seven according to People.com.
- 3,748 pounds of rubber and 1.5 tons of metal were used for armory and 1,300 shields were created.
- There are 432 minutes left in the series, spread across six episodes. Season Eight premieres Sunday night, and the series finale will air on May 19th.
Follow and learn more about Vicki Oh! on Instagram @onairwithvicki #onairwithvicki